National Organization of Peer Educators (NOPE) was established in 2000 and registered in Kenya as an NGO in 2001. NOPE’s programs are peer-centered and target vulnerable and marginalized populations in Kenya and the East Africa region. These include youth, women, domestic workers, small scale traders and people in formal and informal workplaces. Program areas include HIV and AIDS prevention, care and treatment; advocacy; capacity building for Civil Society Organizations (CSOs); Livelihoods and economic empowerment; and Democracy and Governance.
Working with the Ministry of Health through the National AIDS Control Council (NACC), National AIDS and STI Control Program (NASCOP) and other partners, NOPE has since 2004 hosted the biennial International Conference on Peer Education, Sexuality, HIV and AIDS in Kenya. The three-day conference brings together up to 1,200 participants, among them key stakeholders in HIV programming from Africa and beyond. The conference provides a platform for communities to engage with policy makers, HIV program implementers, scholars and researchers.
The 8th International Conference on Peer Education, Sexuality, HIV and AIDS is scheduled for June 2018. NOPE is seeking a suitable candidate for the position of Conference Coordinator from September 2017 to August 2018. Reporting to the Conference Chairman/Executive Director, the coordinator will have the overall responsibility of marketing and organize the conference and related pre-events. He/she will also run the Conference Secretariat and supervise the staff and volunteers on a day-to-day basis.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop proposals for funding and other forms of partnership with different donors concluding public and private sector organizations
- Develop and oversee the implementation of a conference plan of action
- Develop and produce a conference marketing plan and materials including, among others, a Conference Write-up, posters, Conference-specific website and other relevant websites, banners, video clips, newspaper adverts and Social Media updates.
- Arrange appointments with potential donors/partners for the Executive Director and program managers and prepare notes of such meetings.
- Assign roles to staff and volunteers within the secretariat and ensure that deliverables are met.
- Coordinate meetings of the Conference Steering Committee and different sub-committees
- Manage conference records and files
- Compile monthly and quarterly progress reports and submit them promptly to the Executive Director
- Update the Executive Director on a weekly basis on the progress of the conference preparations
- Coordinate responses to delegates and stakeholders’ questions, phone calls and other correspondence
- Prepare and promptly dispatch letters to delegates, presenters and invited guests Coordinate the review of abstracts with the Technical Committee, communicate with presenters and maintain the relevant records.
- Develop a database of relevant organizations and provide regular updates on the conference organization.
- Attend conference committee meetings and provide the relevant updates
- Take charge of all logistical and management issues pertaining to the conference. These include:
- Early booking of the conference venues and other relevant facilities and ensuring prompt payment for the same to avoid cancellation
- Booking the exhibition space and working with the exhibition coordinating agency to ensure wide marketing
- Organizing for sponsored delegates’ transport accommodation and communicating to other delegates’ information on possible accommodation facilities and the charges.
- Preparation of conference badges for delegates, ushers, officials and VIPs.
- Efficient registration of delegates prior to and during the conference
- Maintaining an updated list of paid-up delegates in liaison with the Finance and Administration Manager.
- Perform/coordinate all post-conference activities including:
- Compilation of the final conference report
- Editing, production and distribution of the conference CD ROM and DVD
- Conference Committee final debriefing
- A degree in Social Science, Public Health, International Relations or related field.
- Past experience in event management particularly organizing and attending large conferences
- Vast Knowledge of and ability to articulate current trends in HIV and AIDS prevention, care and treatment
- Experience in proposal and report writing
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency in relevant computer packages
- Excellent interpersonal skills
Interested individuals should email their CVs and application letters (including availability and salary expectation) to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy to email@example.com to reach them before or on 11th August 2017.