Be part of the Bridge the Gap Campaign
We firmly believe that the youth centre will provide a sustainable model for addressing the needs of young people at the County levels. Together, and with your support we can give hope and radically transform the lives of the youth through these centres. Join us and become a part of the Bridge the Gap Campaign. Donations to this campaign can be done if Kenyans send Ksh100 via MPesa, and well wishers from the international community send $1/€1/£1 to reach our $5,000 Goal!
NOPE envisions a world with healthy communities and sustained social development and is on a mission to build the capacity of communities and organizations for delivery of quality health and social services.
Our work with youth is and has been guided by the health policies and social services and Livelihoods and economic empowerment pillars. NOPE implements among them, youth-targeted programs focusing mainly on HIV interventions, economic empowerment, life skills and general health.
Although efforts made to impact youth in Kenya have borne fruit, millions still remain unreached and youth-targeted interventions often stop at the end of every other donor-funded program. This is against the backdrop of high unemployment rates with at least 70% of the unemployed being youth aged15-35 years; high HIV prevalence in some populations and especially women aged 15-24; unplanned pregnancies which pose a major threat to the fight against school dropouts, unsafe abortions and Gender-Based Violence (GBV).
To address the gap in the provision sustainable youth-friendly services, NOPE plans to construct a Youth Training and Comprehensive Care Centre in Matuu. The Youth centre will directly serve the needs of the youth by reaching out to them; conducting sessions on HIV/AIDS, reproductive health, Family Planning, drugs and abuse, and gender-based violence among others. The centre will also focus on building the skills of young persons to equip them with leadership skills, improve their self-esteem, and their ability to motivate others to adopt and maintain health-seeking behaviours.
Bridging the Gap: One need at a time!
Some of the services which will be offered at the Youth Training and Comprehensive Care Centre include:
- Youth-friendly primary health care and reproductive health services
- Career guidance;
- Recreational space;
- Training on leadership;
- Peer education;
- Mentorship program (in partnership with the government and youth-serving organizations)
- Financial wellness training;
- Health education,
- ICT and entrepreneurship training.
- Support and care for HIV positive youth (including the provision of ARVs).
NOPE also intends on achieving abundant and ambitious goals through this centre within the first three years of its establishment. These are:
- To serve 500 young people through direct services every month.
- To conduct an outreach program that will be established and expected to reach 300,000 beneficiaries with training services, evidence-based behavioural interventions and integrated health services. During 1st year the program will reach 100,000, 2nd year 200,000 and the 3rd year a total of 300,000 beneficiaries.
- Train 5,000 young people in entrepreneurship and basic computer skills in the first year.
- Provide technical assistance to 20 youth centres at the grassroots level to strengthen access to youth-friendly services.
The centre will offer:
- Job opportunities
- Space for self-expression and discovery.
- Cultural expression and promotion through cultural events held at and promoted by the centre.
- Knowledge acquisition through a resource centre which will have computers and other reading materials.
- Skills development through various personal development and economic empowerment trainings and mentorship to prepare them for employment or entrepreneurship.